How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6782
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Worcester city council is refusing to allow me to register

Customer Question

Worcester city council is refusing to allow me to register my home address as my permanent residency as I do contract work and work away from home staying in hotels. There response is that I lead a " nomadic lifestyle" so will only allow me to register as a holiday let there are restrictions to this that only allow me to stay here 3 months in any year.
This has been going on for years and at one point I was told that I could not store my furniture in my home so paid for storage then they changed their mind and said I could so I paid for an additional removal cost and moved it back in but they are still saying it is unfurnished I want a solicitor to help me write the complaint letter and recover the costs that I have had due to their action
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the value of costs you have incurred please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie
Removal £450, Storage £2468.31 and a further cost associated with YBS of £343. Below is where I got to for my complaint. I know I sound angry but I'm tired frustrated and rootless and angry and feel I'm an individual being walked over but a faceless organisation. I need this written so they will take notice.Initially after unsuccessfully letting my home it was empty while I arranged to move back in. I was told that I could not move back as a primary residence as the house had been let then stood empty. There was a heated discussion around the outcome of which I was told I may not store my furniture in the house and I could not designate is as a holiday home either as I did not have a sofa (it was old and I wanted a new one). So I put my furniture in storage, Costing £144 per month total £2468.31.
Later another council employee Becky Emery told me that I may store my furniture in my house but I still may not have it as my main residence only as a holiday let and was restricted to only living in it 3 months a year. I moved my furniture out at a cost of £450 for the extra move having already paid to move into storage. I raised the issue there is no point in me having a home that I can only use 3 months every year but at least it stopped the £144 per month storage charges and locked the house up after having it decorated post tenants.
For the next few years I continued to do contract work anything from 12 days to 3 years staying in hotels, with friends /boyfriend and sailing at weekends.
I made it clear to Becky Emery that it would be very difficult to get hold of me as I have no permanent address and gave my email address as primary contact. The bills have not been emailed. But there was a new system at the time which she wanted me to use this did not work as I could not have a house as my only address that was not a primary address. The issue being I work away from home up to 5 days a week.
We have had several arguments over the years and I have sent here the invoice for the storage and removal costs some time ago. They have since designated this as unfurnished and charge a 150% premium and continue to do so.
They have not emailed me the bills as requested resulting in a back log of council tax – despite having put my furniture back they are insistent the property is unfurnished. I am about to send them the storage and removal receipts again along with the complaint.
This summer the garden was overgown and someone complained and Giancarlo Picardo he wrote me an email saying that I had to fix it my response was that when Worcester city council will allow me to live in my own home permanently I will. There is a series of emails between him and the council tax office resulting in Anna Cramp at the council tax office confirming that I lead a nomadic lifestyle so may only use the house as a holiday home not a permanent home .
The last discussion with Becky Emery is I may use the house any way I wish sofa oshe will not say that It is my permanent address and Anna Cramp (who I have not spoken to) has said it is a holiday home.
The impact to me cannot be understated I am tired, rootless, it is difficult for people and businesses to keep in contact with me never mind little things like sorting out doctors appointments the right to vote at elections etc.
Why do I have to provide removal receipts storage receipts and been asked for someone to inspect my home to check it is furnished just to move back into my own home. Do they do this for everyone I feel they are just trying to make my life difficult to cover for the mistakes they have made
Additionally the outstanding bills that were not emailed progressed to court again no notices received. I have no problem paying the bills again I asked Becky Emery to send these through. She has not. I do not see why I should be paying a 150% surcharge when I have done everything that the council has told me to do and the only reason for the “nomadic “ lifestyle is their insistence I may only use my home as a holiday let which I do not want to do.
Lastly they have failed to keep my data secure which has resulted in my address being sent by a Sue Robinson on behalf of Worcester city council to strangers on facebook. My account is private and locked down.
What I initially need from you is a really good complaint letter and then I believe there is an ombudsman who I should go to following which if they are unable to change their stance I will be prepared to go to court.
What I want form the council is:
A written open apology
Refund of storage (£2468.31 and removal costs £450)
Deduction of £343 costs from YBS from the outstanding council tax bill
Compensation for publication of my data
I have no idea how to put a figure to the disruption to my life. I’m tired and want my life back and in one place.
Recalculation of the council tax to reflect that this is my home with reduction for single person from the time I put my furniture in storage
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

As for the position of the Council you need to write and make a formal complaint. This will be investigated by the Chief Officer of the Council. If that department does not find for you then you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint for free at:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any better way of phrasing the letter I inserted earlier. Also how can I go about quantifying the disruption this has caused? thanksMelanie
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

That is fine and clear, just need to put it into paragraphs.

you can claim a nominal sum for the disruption. Not more than a few hundred £

Does that clarify?