How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12071
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hii have a question on Scots inheritance law. Assistant:

This answer was rated:

hii have a question on Scots inheritance law.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: fife
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: whats it is i am exceutar to my aunts estate and have money for my brother. he refuses togive me is bank details address . i have sent him txts and emails but no answer .it has now been 5 yrs . how long to i hold the money for him
Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: how do i pay
Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok

I am a solicitor in a Scotland and will help you with this. Why does he not want the money?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he does not trust me with is bank details and when i have asked for his address to send cheque he has not replied. he hasn't spoken to me since the death of my other aunt 4yrs ago andthat was a shouting match in cowdenbeath high street
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has also in 2012 threatened my with solicitors .here is his emailI'm giving you 7 working days from the 22/10/12 to provide details of rays will and all costs and money leaving ray estate and any costs will be recovered from your side of things and after 30/10/12. to try and do people out of money is a crime offence. and will be treated as such.
i replied with asking for his bank details .. i have have for them about 6 times since then

You can do one of two things: 1. Leave the money in a separate bank account and tell him when he is ready to take the money you will transfer it. Or 2. Tell him if he doesn't provide details where the money can be sent you will send it to the QLTR office in Edinburgh where all money goes in respect of beneficiaries who can't be traced. He would then have to go through a tortuous procedure to reclaim the money from the state. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time. See

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you confirm if there is a time limit (and if so what) for him to claim it back from a separate account I would hold or QLTR? Also, if there is a time limit and he misses it, what would happen to the inheritance. Would it revert to myself or the state?

There is no time limit on QLTR. There is a 20 year time limit otherwise. Thereafter the legacy would revert to the estate.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you