How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71035
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We purchased some doors and windows on a deposit and balance

This answer was rated:

We purchased some doors and windows on a deposit and balance on delivery contract (terms stated and signed in a document by both parties). We gave our card details and they took a deposit and a balance payment. 3 months later we have received a statement and it seems that they mistakenly took the wrong amount (£900 less than the price). Do we have to pay this now if they have not made any contact with us in the last 3 months to explain their mistake?

Is there any reason you think you may not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only that the terms were to pay on delivery and we gave our card details in good faith that they would take the right amount, we didn't try to underpay them, and they have not contacted us for 3 months. It was obviously their mistake and we now have a large amount to pay that we were not expecting.

Well, surely it is unexpected? This was the contract price?

This is their mistake of course. It is not your fault that they made this mistake. That doesn't mean you don't have to pay though.

You are liable to pay the contract price. I realise they made a mistake but that doesn't remove your obligations under the contract.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there no limitation on when a contractor can request a payment, even years later, if they have not chased it up at any point prior? I know this is just a few months but I'm surprised there is no limit.

Yes, there is.

It is six years.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you