How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Just wondered if I have any rights as my partner and I have

This answer was rated:

Hello, just wondered if I have any rights as my partner and I have split up after 12.5 years?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are/were you married to each other?

-What assets and income is there?

-Do you have children together, if so how old are they and what are the proposed arrangements for them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we were not married. We have a house but it is tenants in common 30% to me and 70% to him. He did something I am unable to live with and he has left me in the house for now. No we do not have any children only those we had from previous relationships.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have any rights?

Thank you for your question. As you are not married and you have no children together the legal position is that you are only entitled to 30% of the proceeds of sale of the property as this is what you hold on the title, unless there are any formal agreements between you.

If your partner seeks to remain in the property then you will need to negotiate a buy-out of your share of the equity. If no agreement can be reached you will need to apply to your county court to force a sale - this can be done using form N1 and a £355 court fee.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you