How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71038
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A son who is living in our house who is violent, verbally

This answer was rated:

A son who is living in our house who is violent, verbally abusive, pays no keep, I believe is on drugs and lays in bed all day. I want him out of my house, how do I do it

Has he paid any rent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have asked for rent but won't pay it. He also works for our Company although we are shortly closing it. He has always been late and is currently not going to work

But has he ever paid anything at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know if I can get rid of him legally

Yes, so has he ever paid anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Years ago I think he may have given me some money but never regularly or recently

Ok. Was that specifically for the cost of living there though?

Or for something else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this still within the £38?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these questions still within the £38 I paid?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for clarification. As I say he has never paid regular amounts of money, Any money he did pay would have been a token amount towards his keep to live in my house, i.e. food, electricity etc. There is no formal arrangement and as I say he hasn't paid me anything since he returned living with us 3 months ago. He moved out with a girlfriend for a short spell but returned home on 3.10.2016. Problems ever since

Ok. He is a lodger then rather than just a guest. He may very well be a bad lodger but that is a different matter.

You can still evict him but you need to give him notice.

He is entitled to at least 14 days written notice and it would probably be safer to give him 28.

The good news is though that if he doesn't go at the end of that time period you don't need a court order. You can just wait until he leaves the house and change the locks after him.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does a Solicitor have to write a letter or do we just write one? I presume if he becomes abusive you just call the Police?

No, you can do it. An email or text is fine too although I would print it off and attach it to his door and take photographs just for safety.

Yes, if he misbehaves cal the police.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you