Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My daughter is sharing a house with 2 other students in

Customer Question

My daughter is sharing a house with 2 other students in brighton. Their assured shorthold tenancy doesnt end until sept this year, but the letting agent/landlord wants them to confirm their intent to continue the tenancy until June 18, now. They also want to end the current tenancy and start a whole new contratc for which (you guessed it) they want to charge over £800 in fees etc.. How easy would it be just to extend their current agreement as that is surely a simpler way of doing this ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

On what basis are they saying £800 is reasonable?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are saying that these are their costs. £150 per person to start a new contract and then "admin fees" They are saying that they have to re-reference all 3 guarantors. Why cant they just renew the current contract ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 years ago.

That is not reasonable. They can renew the contract. There is a case of Foxtons which says fees should be limited.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-1689826/Foxtons-unfair-landlord-fees-are-banned.html

They are not entitled to charge penalty costs which is what this is.

£150 would be fine. But beyond that is unfair.

Highlight the above case to them, they are trying it on

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are arguing that this is not a renewal but a new contract as the old comes to an end in september. I want to know what is stopping them from simply renewing or extending the existing contract ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 years ago.

Exactly - nothing at all. They are just seeking to charge excessive fees which is against the Foxtons case.

Therefore you can dispute it

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but I am waiting to hear back from the Letting agent owner for his justification.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 years ago.

Sure. Tell them about Foxtons and you consider it unfair. Take them to Court over it if they continue, it will be a small claim.
After all it will cost them more to defend it than the £800 itself.

Does that clarify?