How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49779
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have given a jewellery maker my tanzanite stone which cost

This answer was rated:

I have given a jewellery maker my tanzanite stone which cost a lot for him to make me a ring . he is now acting very strange when I ask about the progress. I have paid him a deposit too. please advise me on what to do

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please can you provide some more information as to why he is behaving in this way? Also, what are you ideally hoping for so that I can advise?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know why. I provide him with my stone and deposit in March.I pop twice to see the progress and he said he doesn't appreciate me popping because he will call me when the ring is ready.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want to know if I will get the ring or the deposit and my stone. The shop is based in Cheltenham

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Thank you. Obviously you will have the right to get the stone and the deposit back at some point. The issue is when. At this stage the jeweller has been instructed to make a ring and they will have a legal duty to finish this work with a reasonable time, unless a specific timeframe was agreed between you. So if no set timeframe was agreed you would expect him to take whatever a reasonable period is considering the nature of the work. If there start to be unreasonable delays you can contact him to say that you have to set a specific deadline for the work to be complete or get your stone and deposit back. If he then refuses to hand these back to you, it is possible to consider pursuing him further for what you are owed. This can be done in the county court as you will have the right to do so.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to follow in the event you have to pursue him formally. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. Obviously the ideal outcome would be to get the stone back and the deposit. However, in the event that the stone is no longer there, for example lost, stolen or basically no longer in his possession, you can proceed with seeking compensation for its value.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.