Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I had some conversations over social media with people I

I had some conversations over social media with people I don’t know in the USA. Now that I am writing a book I find that I can use some of the conversations/statements made by some of these people. Are they copyright protected? Could they, if they were ever to read the book, sue me later and say ´I made that statement, wrote that sentence back then (2007?)´?My book is a novel and the sentences are descriptions of their relationships and what they did and with whom during these relationships.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
If you find that your question is not getting answered you may want to consider posting your question on the US version of our site, www.justanswer.com, where your question would be made available to a wider range of professionals. You may be able to get an answer faster on the US version of JustAnswer.
You will need to place a new deposit on the US site. You can get a refund of your deposit on the UK site by following this link:
www.justanswer.co.uk/refund/refund.aspx
Please let me know if you need further assistance,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
as I am in the UK, US law should really not apply to me or anybody else outside the US really
am I right?
However, there have been cases where people outside of the US were still bizarrely affected by it
Hence I believe that it could be advantageous if somebody who is an expert on US law too deals with this caseAs said though:
in my opinion only UK law should apply but I am not sure about this because of above described fact.the people I had contact with over social media all those years ago were US citizens and live there.
They may still have there converations referred to on their myspace account
Thus pls let me know whether they can be copyright protectedThe question about the annual report should be even simpler and even more straight forward.
I used figures out of the annual report of a company which is public anyway
the other company I compared the first one with is out of an ACCA-exam
However, in both cases I changed the name of the company as my book is a novel/fictitiousHence please confirm that I can use the mentioned conversations as they are not copyright (or else-)protected and that theere is no problem with using figures from an annual report in the described way either.
You posted the question in US Law. Do you want me to move it to UK Law for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nicola,Yes, please if you agree that my case should not have anything to do with US law.As said, I also think that it should not have anything to do with it but am wondering because the 2 people I used part of our myspace-conversations from were US citizens. Is there any way that could be relevant? If no, pls refer to UK. Could a conversation on social media be eligible or copyright law? Anywhere in the world? If no, that part of the question would be solved.The issue of using figures of a plc without naming it should not be an issue at all?! I changed the name of any company and thus I should not believe that referring to anything else should matter because I do not use the name of the company out of which report the information is taken.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
34;for copyright law" was what I meant in the second paragraph
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
specifics about annual report issue:
I am comparing ratios and circumstances described in it
I don´t copy any text
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

There is no copyright to the conversations or statement.

Having chats with someone is not owned by anyway, nor indeed work.

What you are doing is recalling from memory - you will own THAT copyright.

So yes, you can do this without a problem

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jamie,
great that you confirm that conversations done via social media are not copyrighted by anybody but are mine and thus I am free to paste them into my book without any problem regardless of which country the conversation-partner comes from or, indeed, who he/she is at all.
Only thing to confirm for you is that I can paste it. You wrote I were recalling from memory but the conversations were taking place in writing. So pls confirm that I can copy from there and then paste into my book.Second issue was about the use of annual reports?

Correct.

Annual reports are public so can be used.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to double check:
1. Pasting text written by somebody else on social media into my book is possible as is not copyrighted by somebody else. Conclusively, once I have used it in my book, it is copyrighted by me and they could not even use it themselves.2. Annual report:
I am not copying or pasting into my book. I am using facts and applying them to fictitious companies in my book. Hence I am distorting the truth but my book is a novel/thriller anyway (fiction) and I am not using the names of real/existing businesses.

1. Correct.

2. You can use it

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor