How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50209
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My car was repaired by Halfords a short time ago. They

Customer Question

My car was repaired by Halfords a short time ago. They replaced the main coolant pipe system that runs behind the engine. Last week while driving on the motorway, according to the roadside assistance technician, the pipes appear to have disconnected from the water pump and the engine has as a result over heated to the point of it becoming seized.
I would like to go about pursuing Halfords regarding this but do not know where to start.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

How long ago did Halfords carry out the repair and have you contacted them at all regarding the fault?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you need me to go over the issue again?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They did it in late January. I haven't contacted them yet about it, I wanted to seek advice first
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Many thanks for your patience. When a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

{C}· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

{C}· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time frame has been agreed)

{C}· Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed)

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights:

Substandard work - the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, you can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. If they simply refuse to resolve the issues, you can consider getting someone else to rectify the issues and either deduct these costs from the total owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred.

So in the first instance you should approach them to report what has happened and if you have any proof that what happened was because of their work – provide it to them to back up your claim. Ask them to either repair the vehicle or to compensate you if it is not repairable. If you do not get a satisfactory resolution, having used up their formal complains procedure to the full, then you do have the option to take this to court for a formal claim for compensation.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to follow if you have to make a claim. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a quick second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry for not replying I've been working night shifts and I've not had a chance to draft any sort of response.
I'm happy with your outlining of the situation. I have one question and a course of action that I would like to run past you.
Question: is there a standard period of time that work is supposed to last or is it subject to specific company terms and conditions?
Course of action: I have no direct proof that the fault was a direct result of their work as a result of not having concrete grasp of what has exactly happen. The roadside technician who initially examined the car before towing it said that he suspected that the coolant pipes had broken from the water pump. I need to know if this is correct and if it is a direct result of halfords not installing it properly. So my plan was to talk to them and propose to appoint a mechanic to examine the car to confirm this. What I don't know is how to garuntee the impartiality of the examining mechanic.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

No problem and thanks for getting back to me. There is no specifically defined time in law that work should last for, but as in all cases, there is an expectation that it would last a reasonable time. As you can imagine that will vary from case to case and from one type of work to another. It is indeed best to try and get an independent opinion on this, to at least try and link the repairs with the subsequent issues. How you find such an expert is basically going to come down to you and Halfords agreeing on it – I suggest you propose a few local garages with a good reputation and just agree between yourselves as to which one you choose. Hope this clarifies?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, can you please let me know if this has clarified your position? Thanks