How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I paid a deposit on our house which my partner of 20 months

Customer Question

I paid a deposit on our house which my partner of 20 months and I have bought. She now wants to split up and is demanding 50% of the difference between present/sale value and the price paid. She is also trying to have 50% of the deposit which was a gift to me from my father.
I am anxious to protect my deposit naturally. Please tell me if you can how I stand in this situation.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We bought the house for £153,000, to which my father gifted 10% deposit, leaving us with a mortgage of ~£136,000. Furthermore, I paid all legal/conveyance for the purchase plus stamp duty plus storage and van rental. Currently one estate agent has valued the property at £165,000 and another at between £160-165,000. I have a surveyor coming to give an actual valuation on Wednesday. I am borderline desperate to return my fathers gift to him. Please advise.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name us Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Did you protect your investment with a Declaration fo Trust?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Clare,Sadly not - in hindsight, which is obviously 20/20, I sincerely ***** ***** had.Thanks,
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Not all is lost.

What is the current Redemption figure on the mortgage (including any penalties)