How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12071
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have been asked to attend a "proof before answer" hearing

Customer Question

I have been asked to attend a "proof before answer " hearing on the 1st/2nd June 2016 regarding an outstanding civil case going back to 2013. Unfortunately my financial circumstances have changed and i am currently unemployed and can no longer afford the legal fees for a solicitor to represent me. What may happen to me if i cannot defend my case?
I look forward to receiving your response.
Carol Mackie
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. You could try to deal with this yourself but a proof before Answer deals with both questions of fact and law, is an ordinary action, as opposed to a simple procedure or small claim action, and I would not recommend that you do this on your own. If you are unemployed you could find a solicitor who might be prepared to do this on legal aid. The solicitor would have to make an immediate application to the court to have the case adjourned to enable an application for legal aid to be made. Those are your options. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.