How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7049
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I live in property in block of flats owned by housing

This answer was rated:

I live in property in block of flats owned by housing association. One particular flat is causing issues to entire neighbourhood ( two residents were beaten, communal area is constantly damaged, nearest neighbour repeatedly complains of smell of marihuana coming from that flat, groups of people are being allowed in premisses by the same resident). Antisocial behaviour team was contacted, but issue is that as a individual complains does not seem to have enough weight to affect the situation.And when few nabours proposed a petition, antisocial behaviour officer advised that it do look like we nagging the mentioned resident. So how do we make a communal claim in given situation? In addition whenever he is cought in acting aggressively, he uses some sort of excuse of mental disorder to deal with it.And particular resident lives with woman and two children.Who in fact if some people try to rise an issue start to act as victims of nagging. As far as I know he is not even on tenancy agreement.But again housing officer would not give any information about those tenants as it would be a breach of privacy.Same situation with police. So what is best way for us as neighbourhood community to protect our selfs?
Would be grateful for your advise,

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why wont they do anything about it please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, thank you for getting back.It is a complex situation. The main thing is that none of tenants can actually access information about mentioned people. So we do not know how many people in the block had actual incidents with them. The same is with police. Secondly housing officers have changed, so each new coming on position just stars everything from scratch. And main attitude from both parties is: police says to contact your antisocial behaviour officer and accordingly he says in any instant just report to police. But in many cases if there are some antisocial elements happening in communal area by the time police comes (because apparently issues like five guys smoking marihuana on stair case is not a urgent enough) it is all long gone by the time they arrive. And they do not give any record of incident.Moreover the tenants in particular flat seem to have quite a lot of experience in dealing with complains addressed to then. They use two strategies, one is to come back with being victimised by neighbours and using some mental disorder where he is not able to control his anger.That is way police do not want to get involved in cases with this person. Although I have been a witness were few people confesed of buyning drugs from them. But they would not witness in police...It just goes the circles and nothing is done.
I would highly appreciate any possible advise.
Thank you

Does your agreement have something in it which says not to cause annoyance etc to others?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes there is entire paragraph about antisocial behaviour. I have add a photos of that part of agreement below.
Thank you

Ok. You need to write to the chief executive of the housing association and set out your complaint.

They have an arguable obligation to enforce the terms of the tenancy. If the chief executive does not uphold your complaint, then and only then can you go to the ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service at

That should resolve your complaint.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your advise. So before I set a complain to chief executive of housing association I should find and collect some strong evidence regards ***** ***** not completing his duties accordingly.What in your opinion could be best evidence for that?Could I use a petition with neighbour signatures for this purpose as one of supporting material?Best regards,Simona

correct Simona.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does clarify.Only if I could get a bit wider advise to the first question above (,,What in your opinion could be best evidence for that?").Thank you

Keep a diary of events. That is best evidence.

Does that clairfy?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you