How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71043
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My wife was due criminal compensation. Awarded to her for

Customer Question

Hi my wife was due criminal compensation. Awarded to her for historic abuse by her step father, he was sentenced to 7 years imprisonment. Unfortunately my wife committed suicide a month ago due to the depression she suffered from the abuse. Am I entitled to pursue the claim being her next of kin?
John Tucker
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry but you are not.

Only the complainant has a claim for criminal injuries compensation.

I'm very sorry.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My wife was told that she is entitled to the claim they were just working out how much she is entitled to.when they have got the final figure will it go to her estate?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

No, they won't pay it I'm afraid.

She was entitled to it.

Sadly she has died.