How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34893
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I want to change my name by deed poll. I am legally

Customer Question

I want to change my name by deed poll.
I am legally separated with no children & wish to revert to my maiden name. Because I am separated, not divorced, certain institutions will only allow me to return to my maiden name if I change it by deed poll. I have downloaded the forms from the uk gov site but I need clarification where it says "an officer of the court". Do I have to take this to a solicitor, could I ask a friend who is a barrister, do I have to take it to the court (in which case to whom do I refer it?) & do you have a rough idea of how much this will cost ? Many thanks in advance.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare and I shall do my best to help you

In fact all you actually need is a Change of Name Deed - not the formal process of a Deed Poll

There are even free websites that help such as the one here

It is very rare for any institution to actually need the formal Deed Poll process to be followed.

If you do decide to follow this route then you can attend your local court who will deal with you for £5.

Please ask if you need further detail

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply but my bank, the passport office & DVLA refuse to accept this method & insist on a deed poll which is why I specifically asked a question about deed poll name changes.
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Have they all confirmed that in writing - I ask because in fact you are legally entitled to revert back to your maiden name whenever you wish

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My bank is adamant that it will accept a change of name only by deed poll or divorce. I don't want to kick up a fuss, I just want to change my name, renew my passport & book a holiday.
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

I understand - but do the Change of Name deed - the passport office and DVLA will accept that and once you have those the bank has to follow

However in any event a solicitor or barrister is an Officer of the Court - or you can attend the local County court - and the cost will be £%.