How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6395
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have been given notice 21. However one of the names is

Customer Question

I have been given notice 21. However one of the names is wrong and the name of our child is not on the form. Is it valid?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Was it just spent wrong?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been renting a property for 6 years, paid £96000 so far, on a rolling contract. The moment I asked for some repairs during an inspection visit, they asked me to either sign a 12 month contract leave the property. I have been issued with a section 21. My name is ***** ***** wife's legal first name is ***** ***** instead of Katholiki, which is how she signed the contract. Also our 2 children's names are ***** ***** in section 21. They were also in the original contract.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Ok - how old are the children?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
5 and 9 years old
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

They dont need to be named on the property - they are under 18, so dont need to be on the S.21

As for your wife, clearly its meant to include her and a typographical error.

This does not invalidate the notice. There does not appear to be doubt as to her identity.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could I have a case, regarding revenge eviction, as everything started after I have asked for maintenance repairs, even though I have not involved the council? Or could I involve the council now?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Sadly you can't. The law changed and new tenancies prevent eviction for asking for repair.

You have an old tenancy so the revenge eviction does not apply retrospective.

What you could do is sign a new agreement, then complain and the Landlord cant evict you.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The contract according to them was renewed after 1 October 2015 and the S21 that they have sent is a Form No. 6A.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Ok. The new law came in on 1st October 2015. So if you have signed a new contract and you have evidence of this then they can not take ANY step to evict.

The S.21 would be invalid.

After the S.21 they have to go to Court to issue proceedings for possession. You can defend on the basis of the law which came in on 1st October 2015.

However you said you had been there for 6 years on a rolling contract, you never said you signed a new one, so I answered it on that basis.

But if you did sign one after 1st October 2015 you are protected by the law.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.