How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6426
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have a charge registered on my property for a loan that i

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
I have a charge registered on my property for a loan that i borrowed from a family friend approx 16 years ago.
I repaid the loan approx 4 years after it was registered for a fixed sum of £30,000
But the person who had the charge died before removing the charge.
What can i do?
Kind regards
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello Naim my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you have evidence it was repaid in full?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was paid in 2 payments
£5000 from my account i have a copy of the cheque and proof it cleared the bank and also a copy of the payment for £25000 which was a cheque from the building society directly to the person.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Ok - then you can make an application to the Land Registry to have it removed.

You can show evidence that the person died and that the charge was repaid.

Then the Land Registry will remove it.

Otherwise it would be for the Executor of the Estate to confirm with the land registry that the charge ought to be removed.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The executor was appointed and their solicitors contacted me at the time to ask about the charge. I sent them the copy of the proofs of payment and never heard back from them.They estate has since been discharged.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would you advise that i approach the Land Registry with all the proofs of payment etc and my follow up letters to the executors and see what they say?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Yes I would. Send in all the evidence you have.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks for your help
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.