How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In October 2006 I began a relationship with a woman and

Customer Question

In October 2006 I began a relationship with a woman and lived as man and wife for 10 years. Although not married, I was totally committed to the relationship and fully contributed to the household, all my earnings were put into the "pot", and I never kept anything back for myself.
In August 2007 I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea and as a Truck Driver, had my Class1 licence was suspended until the condition was brought under control. Due to this Syndrome I was unable to earn and as a result I was forced to make myself Bankrupt. I would not let my then Partner pay my debts with her money. Because of the Bankruptcy I was only able to open a Basic Bank Account. I continued in this vain for several years.I went back to work after bringing the Sleep Apnoea under control and again continued to contribute all my earnings into the Household. In 2014 I became eligible for my Army Pension of just under £18,000. Because my then Partner had a Bank account that would produce interest, and as I still had a basic account, It was jointly decided that I would put this lump sum into her account. This was done purely to accrue interest on the money. I spent £8000-00 of this money on a car, leaving a balance of £10,000 in my Partners account. In June/July 2016, our relationship broke down and we separated. Although I have asked her, both verbally and via email, for my £10,000-00 she had declined to return it to me. I sought legal advice from a Solicitor and was advised to, firstly try Mediation. This I did via Now Mediation, in Havant Hampshire but My ex Partner would not enter into any Mediation negotiations. Any attempt to recover my money has met with negative results. If I approach her in person I get cautioned by the Police for "harassment" When I try to explain the situation to them, all they say is that it is a Civil matter. I just want to know how I can get my Lump Sum back from her, the money, that is rightfully mine. Can you help me please??
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

You can sue your ex for the return of the money using the Money Claim online services - details here

Please ask if you need further details