How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I owe HMC £41,000 in in-paid tax. This was due to taking my

Customer Question

I owe HMC £41,000 in in-paid tax. This was due to taking my works pension in a lump sum. I was advised that if it went out of the country for 3 months, then paid into my account I would not need to pay any tax on it. With being in dire straits at the time it appealed to me. I received a letter that if I don't pay the full some HMC will go down the lines of declaring me bankrupt. I phoned them today- 15/06/17 and they want the full payment within 12 months. I am on a zero hour contract. the payments work out at £3500 a month, on a full 40hr week for a month I would earn £1,200 - help please
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Over how long a period did the £41k become due?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
At first I was getting letters saying that its for being self-employed. I ignored them due to the fact I have never been self-employed. these letters started about a year ago. I took the pension money roughly 5 years ago
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any other assets?