How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I just received an Notice of Fine and collection order from

Customer Question

Hi I just received an Notice of Fine and collection order from Magistrates' Court for 811.00 £ which is outrageous! I received a speeding ticket and sent away my details that I was the driver of the vehicle at the time but I didn't receive any paperwork afterwards about the court so I missed it! So I'm wondering if there is any way to revert this and receive different outcome. Thanks Chris!
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Hi - can you give me background information i.e. dates and if your correct address was with DVLA and anything else - thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure! So the offence date is 14/03/2017 I was exceeding 50mph .(I was doing 78mph on my motorcycle). I received an form to be filled out to confirm that I was the driver which I sent away but the form was sent back to me because I left on of the required tick boxes clear, but I sent the form back straight after properly filled out. The "The Single Justice Procedure Notice" was sent out 15th May 2017. The notice contains 2 offences 1. Exceeding a 50 mph. 2. fail to give information relating to the identification of driver / rider of a vehicle when required. So I never had a chance to show up for court or plea guilty. And DVLA has my right address yes.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Did you plead guilty?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. I was found guilty in absence.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

But on the single justice procedure?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well apparently. I have Single justice order which I did not respond to which was sent out 15th May 2017. And now I have received a notice of fine and collection order for 811.00£ which I have to pay before 12 july 2017.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

That is a problem.

Are you asking if you can avoid payment?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is my first conviction since I had my license I expected different outcome. But since I missed my court I guess i'm charged with worst case scenario at the moment. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce the penalty...
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

I can't tell whether you have the option to make a statutory declaration on this evidence.

I'm afraid that the sum cannot be reduced unless you either make a stat dec and get the matter reopened or appeal to the Crown Court and get the sum reduced.

However you are out of time to issue an appeal now. You had 28 days from the date of sentence which is obviously long since past now.

I'm very sorry but that is the position.

Can I clarify anything for you?