How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10226
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

Rao. I have a question on approved planning. My neighbours

Customer Question

My name is***** I have a question on approved planning. My neighbours have broken down my house's boundry fence and built a wall/fence to raise their garden level, which has made over looking and overbearing into our house and thus us loosing our privacy. Can you please help me as to where I stand if I break this wall/fence ?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question - were you forwarned about this by anyone?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. They were supposed to write a letter to me before starting work as to how high they were going to go with this wall/fence. The work was started before hand
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Before we go any further please tell me how much is it going to cost me
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello I have decided to cancel every thing . I am not in a position to pay you more than the £38 you have already charged me for not even answering my question.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

I don’t deal with money, I only deal with answering questions. You asked for a telephone call and there is an extra cost for a telephone call. I will just deal with this within the original fee and you will need to email admin about refund of the cost of the telephone call.

You ask where you stand if you break the wall/fence. The neighbour can refer the matter to the police with a view to having you prosecuted for criminal damage. It is as simple as that.

If you want them to remove whatever it is they have put then you can only apply to court for an injunction if it causes a nuisance or they have been negligent. You cannot take them to court for breaching planning consent, that is a matter for the Local Planning department.

With regard to them having broken your fence, assuming the fence is yours and not jointly owned, that is also criminal damage and is a matter for the police.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To administration department. Please take this email as to cancel my telephone request and refund me my money. Also £38 I paid you for the answer, which I expected would be all I pay for my Question , please refund me this as well. Thanks