How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49780
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I purchased a car for my daughter 17/04/2017, a week later

Customer Question

I purchased a car for my daughter 17/04/2017, a week later we had to take it off the road to a major failing and at the advise of our mechanic who outlined that the amount of work that was required to make this car safe would be nearly as much as we had paid for it [we paid 4,995]. We sorned it of road and it is currently on the mechanics property awaiting a collection. I contacted the dealer straight away and said I rejected the goods and I was within the 30 day to do so. He does not agree to this and has said if I drive the car back he will repair the faults. I have no reason to trust him to do so and the car is un-drivable in it's current decision. Added to this I have had to buy another car for my daughter as she needs to get to work. I have been away for 6 weeks working and holiday and am now in a position to take this up legally.
Would a small claims court judgement be the best way to solve this? I really don't want a repair as the dealer had got the wheel welded, which on inspection had broken.
Can you help please?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

How much did you pay for the car?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

Whilst a county court judgment can help, it would not guarantee a resolution. If the dealer really wanted to they could ignore it an then it would be down to you to try and use whatever enforcement methods are appropriate to try and pursue it. So I would suggest the best way is to try and resolve this directly with them to start with and see if they honour their promise and legal obligation to fix the car and if they do not - that is when you can consider going to court to pursue your rights further. I would however not recommend it as your first step before at least giving them an opportunity to resolve this amicably.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to follow if you have to go to court. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have tried the amicable route to no avail, I do not see the point in letter ping pong and incur further delay
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

then a court claim would indeed be the next step if you wanted to take this further

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a quick second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks