How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6447
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Park by PaybyPhone in Brighton and Hove is ever increasing.

Customer Question

Park by PaybyPhone in Brighton and Hove is ever increasing. 2 years ago I raised with the Council the fact that the 10p charge displayed on their signs was actually being charged as 40p.
Having raised this with my local councillor I believed all must be well. Last week a visitor told me that she had used PaybyPhone and been charged 40p. I checked the signage and sure enough the charge is shown as 10p.
I am not sure whether I am missing something but it seems to me that BHCC are enabling PayByPhone to make a colossal profit from residents & visitors to our City? On the bare facts is this wrong?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have the Council actually done anything about it?
Does it not show a premium for paying by phone?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had an answer from PayByPhone in July 2015 which said - The Parking rates for PayByPhone should be the same as the rates posted at the parking location. In some instances, a service charge or special event pricing may be in effect. For rate discrepancies, please contact the parking provider as they will need to make the proper adjustments to ensure the correct payment is processed."
I have added a picture which shows the Conditions of Use, this is very similar to if not the same, as 2 years ago. The charge is shown as 10p.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

You need to the Council and set out your complaint. They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

If they do not uphold the complaint you can then complain to the Local Government Ombudsman,

They offer a free, independent service at:

That should resolve the matter for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.