How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6408
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I would like your advice. On the 03.07.2017 I brought my

Customer Question

Good morning,
I would like your advice.
On the 03.07.2017 I brought my Toyota Yaris to Steven Eagle Toyota Romford, Gallows Corner, A127 Southend Arterial Road, Romford, Essex, RM30DZ for a routine check for which I spent £395, without having any preexisting issues with my car. According to Toyota Service everything was checked and was OK. On my way home the brakes of my car decreased so that I was unable to brake on A406 and had to use my handbrakes to stop my car into one of the streets NW2 7TE. Toyota Romford were immediately informed and sent a car with a mechanic for another check up, the explanation was that after the brake fluid check, the containers were not tightened properly. My car was taken back to the Toyota service in Romford and returned back 2 days later. I am still awaiting the report of what exactly was done on the second occasion but it seems like the garage wants to delay it.
It is extremely worrying that my car was given to Toyota Services in perfect condition and given back in a condition which put my life in danger, due to defect brakes. I am pleased that the outcome is positive and nobody is hurt, however, the consequences could have been fatal for me or any other potentially involved driver or pedestrian.
The advice I am seeking is how to proceed legally with this situation so that it does not happen to anybody else and what is a reasonable compensation for a car check up with a life-threatening consequence.
Thank you, *****
Dr Gergana Peeva
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would like a reasonable money compensation for the situation they put me in.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request comepnsation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not comepnsate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. Where do I find templates of such letters and what is a reasonable claim for the situation I described?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

You may be able to find a pre action template online.

I think £5000 is a reasonable claim

Does that clarify?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.