How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My disabled sister downsized house 8 years ago and refused

Customer Question

My disabled sister downsized house 8 years ago and refused to dispose of many of her possessions. Consequently, they were placed in storage but, as she wouldn't sign for a direct debit, i had to do this for her. Four years ago she was placed in a nursing home and the same thing happened. I can no longer afford the payments and she refuses to reimburse me or to take on the payments herself staing that she never asked me to do this for her. In this time she has been sectioned which has now been lifted. I have closed one unit by placing her furniture in my own home. Where do I stand as I cannot continue this situation as it is causing me severe financial hardship.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The storage is in Kent, my main place of abode, and the furniture is in Wales
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Only letters between myself and the care home, social services, and mental health team looking after my sister. I sent a letter to my sister plus all of those mentioned and my siblings outlining my situation in December 2016. I stated that if she had not found somewhere to keep the possessions I would have to close the units but I have never received a reply. Some weeks ago her Social Worker asked if I could provide invoices and an inventory of what and where the possesions were. I have supplied this but still not heard anything. I have not contacted solicitors before this as she is, after all, my sister and i understant that some of this is due to her mental health condition.Is this what you mean?
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do visit her and try not to bring the matter up as she gets verbally violent and threatens to take me to court for stealing her belongings. My siblings feel that I should close the units and let the company dispose of the goods as they see fit but surely this would count against me in the future.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

I am sorry to read of your situation with your sister. For the avoidance of doubt may I clarify whether you are seeking to recover monies you have paid for her nursing care and storage or are just looking to free yourself from the payments please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
To free myself from payments. I have resigned myself to the fact that she will not reimburse me even though the costs have now accrued to over £38,000.