Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas

If you lived in a property for 23 years but not the owner,

if you lived in a property for 23 years but not the owner, and her carer for the last 5 years of her live. council tax form filled in by family and signed by property owner or the family. i have not seen the form. after the lady passed away i am being taken to court by the council fore 4 years back tax as the owner was claiming single occupancy

On what basis are they saying you are liable to pay the council tax if she was the one paying it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did not know she was claiming for a single occupant .so council say I'm liable for the debt .I think it should be the executors of the property is that true

She would be the "liable" person to pay the council tax and since the debt arose during her lifetime it would be a debt of her estate.

The liable person to pay tax is usually the owner or tenant if renting , if a couple live there both are "liable".

Since none of these apply I think the council are trying it on.

I hope this assists if there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes