How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I'm thinking about selling my second property which was my

Customer Question

I'm thinking about selling my second property which was my only property until Oct 2006. I bought the property in 1999 for £34k and re-mortgaged it in 2006 to £90k in order to buy the property I live in now.
Since I left my initial property I have had friends living there on and off but the majority of bills have remained in my name. The estimated sale price of the property in question is £120k.
My question is how much CGT will I be liable for - is it £120k minus £34k or £90k minus £34k? I only have £30k equity in the property and as mentioned it was my residential property for quite some time.I've used the HMRC CGT calculator which is estimating my liability at £19k!!
Do you have any recommendations on how I limit my tax liability? Is there anything I can do to juggle things with my residential property? I'm in desperate need of a cash injection and am not sure if I would be better off selling the property I live in, although I would prefer not to!
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much profit will you have made since you purchased it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The difference between sale price of £120k less £34k sale price as stated in my question