How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10778
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My sister wants power of attorney with her husband for my

This answer was rated:

My sister wants power of attorney with her husband for my parents, me to sign a legal document as if anything should happen to them I will take care of them, I understand my sister having poa but she wants her husband having power too, he not blood, ask my sister about us both evening poa, she says she does not want to keep asking me about descision,
My sister personality changes like the wind, I'm happy for her to do everything without me, but I want half and half poa would like some advise as I don't want conflict with my sister she always wants her own way

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

I take it that your parents are in good health or at least have OK health?

Do you and your sister live locally to your parents? Al

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My mum has dementia and my father ill so my older sister wants power of attorney
I would like us both to have power of attorney my sister does not want this as she wants to make discision without asking me all the time my sister wants to make her husband joint attorney with her me second if anything happens to her my father wants me included my sister can make the decision without me I just want joint it gives them to much power they have been to see a solicitor I have a contract in the mail

Hi Deborah, thanks for your reply.

Well, first and foremost, the decision is your Father's to make as no Solicitor will accept instructions from your sister when preparing a Lasting Power of Attorney for either of your parents. The Solicitor will also normally recommend that the children be Attorneys, as opposed to daughter and son in law!

So, it is entirely up to your Father, and he can appoint you and your sister jointly and severally, meaning that she can act without you if required, and you can act without her, if required.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ty that helps alot

Many thanks. If I have helped, please would you rate my answer. Thanks and Good Luck, Al

Aston Lawyer and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you