How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6759
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have just contacted my local council as they sent me a

This answer was rated:

Good morning I have just contacted my local council as they sent me a final notice for my council tax. I have paid every month before the required time and the full amount requested. The chap agreed that it was probably a computer error and said that their IT dept would look at it. However he has just rung back to say that they have miscalculated my payments and I do owe them money !! I have said that it is their mistake and they cannot represent a different bill with increased payments 4 months after the original ! Do I have to pay the new amount?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: WAles
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No only the phone call so far
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a single person allowance on the council tax and they paid me arefund for last years council tax but nothing else

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Good morning Jamie
I would like to know if the council can demand the extra payments after 4 months and only being made aware of a problem by me calling regarding the final notice letter. They have never told me about any miscalculation until this morning!

Ok - so I dont quite get it - have they been charging you the wrong amount?
Are the sums due now correct?

Jamie-Law and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I will call shortly.