How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10401
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I just paid a £350 for a deposit towards a room that I had

This answer was rated:

Hi, I just paid a £350 for a deposit towards a room that I had all the intention of renting and signed and agreement that stipulates that my deposit won't be given back.However, I only backed down when i have been presented the actual contract after referencing and credit check as I didn't agree with the clauses.
I have been told that I lost the 350 pounds

Hello - what exactly is your question please?

F E Smith and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, how can I get my deposit back? I signed a document which says that I can't get it back before references and credit check.However I wanted to rent the room but the third step was to then sign the rental agreement .When i discovered it in details, i didn't agree with a few clauses and decided not to go ahead. they charged me 350 including references check and card processing fees which i dont want to recuperate as they did their job but the deposit i need back...i feel I have not been given all the information and now i am stuck money wise and cant get a deposit before a few months.What can i do?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hi, how long before i get a call back i need help this afternoon, as i need to get to the agency asap.
thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
please ill go for the written answer only
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what can i do?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no I dont want to go for the call
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
id like to only have a written answer please

I’m afraid that this isn’t an instant chat service. It is a forum reply service and as we all have clients and suchlike, we may be delayed getting back to you. As it happens I am free at present so can deal with this for you.

You cannot be bound by a contract or a deposit in respect of the contract which you haven’t seen.

However no can you grab the agent by the throat if they will not refund that money and if they simply refuse, you have no option but to take them to the Small Claims Court which you can do easy here.

I suggest that you tell the agent that you are happy to go ahead with the property but at that stage when you paid the deposit you had not seen the contract and that you don’t like the contract and hence, you want your deposit back because you are not bound by a contract you have not seen.

If they still refuse, tell them that you have been instructed you should issue Small Claims Court proceedings using Money claim later today and the matter will then be decided by a judge under those circumstances, they still not going to give you your money back because otherwise you want to get back to your computer issue the claim today.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you. If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.