How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72700
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been contacted by the police who stated my previous

This answer was rated:

I have been contacted by the police who stated my previous employer has made an allegation of fraud against me. Whilst employed by them I did some work for a research company who paid for the work in vouchers. My employer was aware of the work and they received further monetary payments from the research company for work they undertook. I used the vouchers to pay for supplies for the office, flowers or gifts for staff and if I had worked overtime to pay for my time. I left the company after feeling bullied and unsupported by them at the end of November 2016

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know what to do. The police have said if I pay the money back then the company may consider not taking it to court. However I feel I acted in good faith and the company have never brought the matter to my attention directly. I was advised by the police to get legal advice on how to take this forward


So what is your question about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I do should I accept responsibility and if the company wish to press charges what is the likely outcome

What is the sum of the fraud roughly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say about £2500
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you advise please

do you accept that sum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have to see the invoices and these are at my previous place of work but it sounds roughly right

Okay. Do you have any previous?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'what do you do'. Obviously you are being investigated. You either make a comment interview or you make a no comment interview.

I cannot really say which would be appropriate. I haven't had vision of their evidence against you. I think, overall, it is not likely that they would offer a caution so a no comment interview is the right thing to do.

I do think they are offering a conditional caution but then you would have to repay the money and admit the offence. I wouldn't repay on any other basis. Otherwise you are just admitting the offence.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you