Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

We had a new roof put on our previous house in August 2012

We had a new roof put on our previous house in August 2012 at a cost of over £9,000. Some ridge tiles fell off in in 2013 and the builder replaced all ridge tiles in December 2013. In March 2015 the builder re-pointed some ridge tiles following reports of unsafe tiles from a neighbour. A number of ridge tiles fell off the roof earlier this year during a storm. The builder advised that this was storm damage and we should get it repaired by the insurance company. The insurance assessor has inspected the roof and agreed to pay £700 for the storm damage but advised that all ridge tiles need replacing. I have obtained three estimates from different builders ranging from £2,500 to £3,300 to complete the work.
I have a copy of the invoice for the work which states that all works will carry a 15 year guarantee from 24/8/2012.
I have sent the builder an email stating that I intend writing to the National Federation of Roofing Contractors, the Confederation of Roofing Contractors as well as Birmingham City Council.
If I proceed with the work does it invalidate the guarantee?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does the guarantee have any conditions on work being done elsewhere?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is written on the invoice "all works will carry a 15 year guarantee from the above date" (24/8/2012
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would it be beneficial to send a Solicitor's letter?

Ok - unless its conditional upon them carrying out the works - then they can be carried out by any competent roofer.

As such you can get the work done elsewhere, claim the money back and it would still be covered.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Thanks. So I can get the work done and then send the invoice to the builder. Should I get a solicitor to send it?

You can but you dont need a Solicitor. You can do this yourself.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thank you

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!