Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters

My ex partner owns 1/3 of the property but owns nothing

My ex partner owns 1/3 of the property but owns nothing inside the home what rights do I have ?

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-Who owns the remaining share of the property?

-Are/were you married to each other?

-Who owns the possessions in the home?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I own the remaining share and we have never been married. I own all contents of the home and I reside in England

Thank you. In the circumstances, legally you have a right to a share of the equity in accordance with your legal interest, therefore 2/3rds. In terms of the contents, these are yours. Your partner has a legal interest in the property itself and therefore would be entitled to return to occupy the property unless there is a court order excluding him.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you