Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I need some advice on medical negligence. The lawyer that

I need some advice on medical negligence. The lawyer that keeps appearing as available has no experience in this area. What solicitor has experience in medical negligence?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England UK
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is a medical negligence issue
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have a genetic blood disorder and once in a while I get a crisis. Last year, I fell ill and the ambulance was called. I told the paramedic not to take me to the local hospital because of the bad experience I had a few years ago. These particular set of paramedics did not listen to and took me to that hospital.
The hospital did not treat me well and left me in pain for hours; they refused to give me adequate pain control. I eventual had to self discharge and went to another hospital. This hospital gave me adequate pain relief but it was too late. I was transferred to my specialist doctor in London.
Due to the bad treatment I received from the first hospital, I could not sit my professional examination at the time I had planned to (which was June) and my recovery took much longer. I was in hospital in London until August. I had rescheduled to sit the examination in September, which I took and passed.
I want to sue the first hospital for medical negligence, very appalling behaviour and also the department I worked for. I worked for the hospital 2015-2016 with one of the department. I am suing the department for over working me and not listening to me when I said I needed to take a break because I was feeling tired. I had declared my health issue to the department and the occupational health and given them guidelines on how they should treat me.
The first hospital treated me badly back in 2008/9 and I developed an autoimmune disease. The London hospital had to treat me. I had planned to sue back then but didn’t. I made a complain to PALs and PALs came back basically saying the hospital did everything right. The same thing happened again last year, this time I did not report to PALs and I want to sue the hospital for negligence.
I am concerned about this being my words against theirs especially the doctors and my previous work colleagues.
I spent September to January recovering and started applying for jobs. I was called for interviews and did not get the job because “you’ve been out of work too long-your knowledge is weak”.
I had planned to sit my exam in June, and start work in August of 2016. It is 2017 July and I don’t have a paying job.
I am concerned about a long drawn out court case as I don’t think my body can with stand it. My specialist doctor has said I should not go to any other hospital again and must always be taken to London-this means I cannot live outside the M25 (this was what they had said to me back in 2008/9 and reason why I told the paramedics not to take me to that hospital).
1. Do I have a case and if I do, what is my chance of winning this case?
2. Is there any thing I should be considering?
3. How much is this likely cost me? I have heard of no win on fee, does this mean that the person I choose to represent me may not put in as much effort compared to the person I pay?
4. Is it too late to sue the hospital and the department?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much are you seeking to claim?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This might sound less than smart, but I didn't know that I needed to claim an amount. I just want to sue the hospital and the department.

You say you want to sue the hospital - but that would be for a monetary amount.

If you dont want money - what is your intended remedy at Court?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Full training of their staff in the genetic disorder I have. I am very concerned that other patient in similar condition undergo similar appalling treatment. This has to stop. If I'll put a prize then £100 million...

But the £100m isnt for you?

I think if you can get an expert opinion saying they are negligent then yes, you have a case.

Only the above - you must show they have been negligent. This needs to be by way of expert evidence to show that they didnt take the actions of a reasonable hospital

You are looking around £15,000 to get it to Court. You may be able to get a no win no fee Solicitor.

You have 3 years to bring a claim under negligence.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Must I have an amount to claim for myself?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is the case likely to get to courts?

Yes you must. The Court remedy is to compensate you.

It may not get to Court - it may settle outside of Court.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
that clarifies it, thank you. Is 100 mil a suitable amount? How much is the average claim amount?

It really depends on all the evidence, prognosis, injury and how long to recover.

£100m seems a little high. I can tell you the highest award ever for life changing injury was £23m

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay thank you very much for your time. Expert evidence...i.e. doctors, they stick together and I am very concern about that. Even my specialist doctor in London may not want to say they believe there was negligence. It's likely to be me the patient word against theirs. This is the second time though this hospital has done this to me.

Indeed and I understand why you are upset. All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!