Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I'm due to due marry partner (same sex marriage) in

I'm due to due marry partner (same sex marriage) in September and I'm unsure what his rights will be to my assets and home once we tie the knot. I have a joint mortgage with a lady friend which we have had for the past 9 years so will he be able to have an interest in the property if we split up? its worth £700k, Robert
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In London
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing as yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have 2 rental properties which have approx £220k in them

Hi, thank you for your question. Marriage raises financial ties between you, even if property has been acquired prior to the marriage. The longer a marriage is, the more entitlement there is to seek division to all assets. In the circumstances I would suggest you enter into a prenuptial agreement with each other - this will outline what happens to assets and finances in the event of divorce and must be prepared by a solicitor to hold as much weight as possible. You should also have 21 clear days before the wedding before signing the agreement to ensure it is as safe as possible to remain in place for the future.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. You will not be charged for providing a rating.