How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11844
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I am 60yo and my wife is 40. My father died at 63y. We live

This answer was rated:

hello. I am 60yo and my wife is 40. My father died at 63y. We live in a house without a mortgage but which is in my name only. I would like to transfer the title to my wife now so that in the event of my early death I can be sure that the house is 'safe' and there will not be any difficult times ahead with children. step children etc. Can this be done easily with minimal cost?

Hello - are you going to make a will as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at some stage yes but I don't have any other significant assets so the will will be mainly my wife's 'responsibility'

If you had a mortgage, then it’s a whole different ballgame but with no mortgage, and presumably with no restrictions on the property (the title deeds will have them clearly noted as restrictions) it’s relatively straightforward although a solicitor is only going to charge you about £300 plus the land Registry fee if you didn’t want to do it yourself.

If you want to do it yourself you are obviously going to need the title deeds from the land registry which you can get here, cost 3 pounds!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

You can then complete forms TR1 and AP1 and ID1 and send the whole lot to the land registry with the appropriate fee which is based on the value of the property. There is no stamp duty to pay if no money is changing hands. Land registry form ID1 will need a passport size photograph attaching which has been certified by a solicitor as a true likeness.

If you Google “land registry form TR1” etc you will find lots of entries for the appropriate forms that you can download.

Fees are here:

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you. If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you