How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10248
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My wife and I are saperiractlng she has said that I am not

This answer was rated:

My wife and I are saperiractlng she has said that I am not intotle to any thing. We have being married for 2 years we lived together for 1 year. I sold my house when I moved in with her. She sold her flat and got a house in her name only because my credit racting was not very good.

Hello - did you contribute towards the house/bills etc?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I give her 550pounds a month
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I give her 560 pounds a month

The time that you were together before you got married would be taken into account with regard to the division of finances but three years is a very short marriage even so and therefore it’s likely that you are both going to be going out of the marriage with virtually what you put in unless there are any children involved from the marriage. You do not mention that so I assume there are none.

It doesn’t matter why you are separating and it doesn’t matter whose fault it is, the financial amount of settlement is exactly the same.

The fact that she may have only her name on the flat is not relevant because firstly you are married and secondly it appears that you contributed something towards the house after you sold your house.

You say you contributed £550 per month but you don’t say whether you put any of the sale proceeds from your house into the marital home as a deposit. If you didn’t, then that will obviously reduce your claim on the proceeds of the marital home.

I don’t know how much the £560 per month is in relation to the total mortgage but that would obviously give you an interest in the property although it wouldn’t necessarily give you an interest which was worth three years at £560 per month because a large part of the monthly payment is interest.

In summary, you are entitled to something and you might want to go to see a solicitor locally who can take detailed instructions and advise you in depth of exactly what you are entitled to. You are certainly not entitled to nothing.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you. If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I sold my house and the proseeds went on etsandison on new house. With regards ***** ***** it is 700 a month.

Thank you. Without knowing all the financial details here, you are entitled to at least what you both put in plus you would be entitled to an allowance for the fact that you paid the majority of the mortgage. As I said in my previous reply, the fact that the house may be in your wife’s sole name is ***** *****