How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16645
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My daughter applied to a landlord to rent a property and in

This answer was rated:

My daughter applied to a landlord to rent a property and in due course was informed that the owner had taken up a reference and did not wish to consider her as an applicant. My daughter had not offered any references and the implication is that someone has given an adverse reference.
Does my daughter have a right in law to know what the reference said and who provided it?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Yes. She can ask for a copy of it under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you clarify the section under the Data Protection Act that applies. Does this include verbal references?

Yes, ANY data held.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you