Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My daughter applied to a landlord to rent a property and in

My daughter applied to a landlord to rent a property and in due course was informed that the owner had taken up a reference and did not wish to consider her as an applicant. My daughter had not offered any references and the implication is that someone has given an adverse reference.
Does my daughter have a right in law to know what the reference said and who provided it?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Yes. She can ask for a copy of it under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you clarify the section under the Data Protection Act that applies. Does this include verbal references?

Yes, ANY data held.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!