How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7502
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My Granddaughters I phone was stolen by a so called friend 2

This answer was rated:

my Granddaughters I phone was stolen by a so called friend 2 months ago. The police were brought into and the girl admitted that she had taken it off my granddaughter. since then we have heard nothing from the police and we do not know if we should employ a solicitor to take the matter to court to recover our property or to be reimbursed for the £700 phone.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How old is the girl who stole please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok - they are under the age of consent so if you get a Solicitor, they would need to have a litigation friend as they are under 18 and you cant issue proceedings directly without having someone act for them.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you