How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10738
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

In 1991 we had a problem with our next door neighbour; she

This answer was rated:

In 1991 we had a problem with our next door neighbour; she would not replace a number of fence posts and panel’s. We were told by her that we could replace all posts and panels. In doing this we both agreed that to get a straight line and to a void the large holes left by fallen post, we would have to move the bottom post about 9 “ into her ground this she was happy for us to do. Since that time the property has been sold 3 times, the last in 2003.They have since replaced that fence twice. Now having to replace a fence that is at a right angle to the bottom post, he has been told that we stole his ground years ago, by his neighbour the other side. He now wants the land back. We have over the years landscaped our garden along the fence line, I would like to know legally where I stand.


The legal position is that under the law of adverse possession, you are entitled to make an application to the Land Registry to be granted possessory title of the land which does not legally belong to you. This is on the grounds that you have possessed the land for more than 10 years, without dispute or hindrance.

Although this does of course involve you in taking a positive step to set things straight, your neighbour would hopefully be advised by any Solicitor that he would be wasting his time in trying to dispute your possession of this land!

I trust this assists and if so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you