How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7082
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am a contractor on site and have been issued with a signed

This answer was rated:

Good evening. I am a contractor on site and have been issued with a signed written site instruction for additional works. I have been told today to increase my manpower (above my original contract) or the additional works will be cancelled. When I questioned the legality of that I was told "I can cancel the instruction at anytime I please". Is this right or would that be a breach of contract on thier part?

Hello James my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do you have any form of written contract? If so, does it say Additional works can be cancelled?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a written contract signed by all parties. I have just checked it and it only says that"Instructions are only to be issued and signed by the site manager via email."Nowhere does it say anything about their right to cancel at any time. I have the signed instruction saved for this eventuality.Surely once they issue that instruction it will fall within the same limitations of the existing contract?

I agree. You need to write and set out your losses and request payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You've been excellent. Thank you for your help!

All the best. If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ofcourse I will. One last question though, how do I go about doing that! I'm not the most technically minded person on the planet!

It should be at the bottom of the page! If not, let me know! Thanks

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you