How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50466
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My present employer has started up a new company and wants

This answer was rated:

My present employer has started up a new company and wants me to sign a new employment contract.
I have been working for my employer for 18 years. However TUPE is not being applied. In the new contract there is nothing that states (the date on which your period of continuous employment started remains the same and your continuous employment is not broken).?
I am concerned that if a sign this contract and in the event of the new company being dissolved i would not be entitled to 18 years redundancy payment. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Jim

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

If TUPE is not being applied then there would be no automatic transfer of employment from the current to the new company and as such your continuous service will be lost anyway. However, if TUPE did apply then this would happen automatically, regardless of whether there was any mention of this in the new contract or not.

So assuming that TUPE did not actually apply in the circumstances, I would push for the employer to make you redundant now from the current company and only then should you agree to sign a new contract for the new company. If the employer refuses to make you redundant now, then I would be asking them to include a clause in the new contract to confirm that your continuous employment is preserved and that it goes back to include the time with the old company.

So you want to cover yourself in every situation - either get the redundancy now for the service over the last 18 years, or if TUPE does not apply - get them to honour the length of continuous service from both companies by including a clause to that effect In the new contract.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you