How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12378
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I recently married a widower who some time ago, transferred

This answer was rated:

I recently married a widower who some time ago , transferred the tittle to his property ro his 2 daughters . he did this as he felt at his age, should he pass away before his wife, the property will be safe. His wife had Alzheimer's for 14 years. The daughters had promised, at the time of doing the transfer, verbally , that they would return tittle to him, should their mother pass away first. Now he is asking back for the tittle, so we can hold it in joint names. We are prepared to make a gift to them when I sell my house and can pay them each £50,000. I am reluctant to sell my house but they are not agreeing to anything. Can e , on our own transfer back the tittle to the original owner, who is their father?

Thanks for your question. The answer is no, I'm afraid. The daughters own the house and it can only be transferred back to their father by them. The verbal promise is not enforceable under property or family law I'm afraid. I hope that answers your question even if it is not the answer you would like. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12378
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

My name is ***** ***** I am an English solicitor

In fact there is a possibility that your husband could using the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act to reclaim the property form his daughters

He will nee dot seek face to face advice from a local solicitor experienced in such matters - look for a larger firm with a "private client" base