Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

I have a son in Jamaica he was born there2014.I hold a

I have a son in Jamaica he was born there2014.I hold a British passport as a British citizen.
My son mother is Jamaican.Would he qualify to get a british passport.?

1. Dear Horace, where were you born - in Britain? to a British citizen yourself? Or how did you acquire your British citizenship?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was born Jamaica.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Both parents are Jamaican. I we.all paid to get british citizenship.

2. Dear Horace, I regret to say that your son doesn't acquire British citizenship. This is because he was born in Jamaica. Essentially, he would have had to have been born in the UK to acquire British nationality automatically.

3. Now, your son will have to come a join you in the UK and live there for five years if he is to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain and then citizenship.

4. Be aware that the rules for acquiring British citizenship are different for the children of people, like yourself, who acquire British nationality during their life, than if you were a British citizenship by descent.

5. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for enlightenment.

6. You are welcome. Best wishes.