How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7275
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My son has completed a job for a company in London and they

This answer was rated:

My son has completed a job for a company in London and they now owe him a substantial sum of money. However they are refusing to pay him until they get a certificate of completion for the work he did. This company has been a nightmare to get money from and so my son is unhappy to issue said certificate which is usually only issued once final payment has been made - you don't get a warranty on a TV that you have yet to pay for!!
He is offering to issue the certificate number to them and hand the physical certificate over to them once payment has been made & cleared but they are refusing to negotiate.
Can you please advise?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is owing please/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
About £8000

You need to write and set out your losses and request full payment within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He has already done that and we are now on the point of requesting the court to bankrupt them if they do not pay.
We really want to know where he stands legally in regard to issuing the physical certificate of completion.
They frankly are hedging their bets as if they do not get a 'pass' from the building inspector they will not pay for the certificate although the failing will not be on the windows as they have been passed. If my son hands over the certificate & they do not get an overall pass on the building, my son has lost out and they have the certificate. You see the quandary?

Unless it as an explicit term of the contract, then he does not need to provide this in order to be paid.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you very much indeed.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you