How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6733
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I purchased a car (car X) around 3 years ago. Soon after my

This answer was rated:

Hi. I purchased a car (car X) around 3 years ago. Soon after my uncle bought me another car so I merely gave him car X. I gave him the logbook for car X to fill in, as I was a fairly new driver and I was unaware who’s name he wanted to put the car in. The car was recently stopped and searched and there was apparently something wrong, i.e. driving without insurance or illegal tyre. My uncle was not the one driving thr car, it was someone he passed the car onto. Now I find out that my uncle never changed the name of the registered keeper and I received a court summons with the charge of failing to provide information. They claim to have sent me a form to fill in, I received no such form. My uncle has told me he is willing to sign a statement admitting liability for the car and assume responsibility for all that has happened. My question is what are the consequences of my uncle signing such a statement?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear you never filled out any part of the V5 to send to the DVLA?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I didn't
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not in a position to call right now

Sure. Why didnt you post your part of the V5 back?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I gave him the V5 because I asked him if he wanted me to fill it in or he wanted to fill it in himself, he said he wanted to fill it in, so I put my trust in him as I had no reason to doubt him

Ok. Clearly as you now know its so important you fill in your part of the V5. As such you need to notify the DVLA of the transfer.

You can plead not guilty, as I assume you didnt get the Notice of Intended Prosecution.

That is the offence.

So it looks like someone was caught speeding and the NIP is sent to the registered keeper and they say who was driving.

If you didnt get it then you plead not guilty.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have plead not guilty, I am trying to build my defence. As such you have not answered the question I posed in the first place, If my uncle assumes liability and says he was the owner of the car and did not sign the V5, what are the consequences placed on him?

He can be charged with the offence instead.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He can be charged with the offence of not filling in the NIP when there was never an NIP sent to him?

No, but the trigger offence, ie speeding etc.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is clarified, just want to ask if you're sure as my hearing is tomorrow and I intend to represent myself

Yes I am sure. He can be charged with trigger offence.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thats clarified, thank you

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wait, I did have another question
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
last one, and i will give you a 5-star rating


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. If i am found guilty or i plead guilty, I get 6 points and a fine, thats ok, but do i get some sort of record that stays with me? A record that might interfere with my career or credit checks?

No, its a non recordable offence, so wont show.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thats perfect thank you

No problem. All the best.