How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I have an off shore investment which I am trying to get my

This answer was rated:

I have an off shore investment which I am trying to get my money transferred to my account in the US, everything was going well but now they are asking for more money
for a Fund Entry Clearance Tax Certificate before I can get my money. Is this
legitimate or a scam?

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I ask you who has asked you to provide this certificate? How did your investment come about? Did you open an off shore account or transfer any money off shore?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The European Union Dept. of Treasury. Yes, I do have an offshore account and have transferred money.
Had the opportunity to invest and make some money.

Many thanks. I am afraid this is a scam. There is no EU Treasury. There are many calling for one to be established but there is no such institution at the moment. Asking for money for a a form of clearance certificate for funds is a well known device for scamming people out of funds. In reality if there is a fee to pay a receiving bank will simpl deduct said fee from the balance being received with the recipient or senders consent. The only situation in which you are asked to pay a separate fee for such "clearance" is if you are dealing with a fraudster that who's aim is to defraud you of the fee he requests. What will typically follow is a request for another fee on some other spurious basis until such time as you refuse to send any more funds.

I am also concerned regarding the money you have already invested. If you are dealing with fraudsters this money may be difficult to recover. You may consider contacting the police at Action Fraud 0300(###) ###-####to report the fraud and under no circumstances send any further funds. If you paid them any amount on a credit card, it may be you can recover the funds through your bank if they have not provided the service they promised they would. If the money was an investment however your bank may not be able to help. I am very sorry to have to provide the above assessment. Please let me know if there is anything above I can clarify for you?

Does the above answer all your questions? If it does, I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click a rating for my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though

Joshua and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you