How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50204
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am being harassed by an ex employee from work. What would

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam,I am being harassed by an ex employee from work. What would be the next steps for me to take to stop this behaviour ASAP.I have already contacted the police but they are yet to investigate this incident, stating that it will take 3 working days. He is becoming more aggressive and vulgar via email and copying all my work colleagues into the communication as well as the CEO.Thanking you in advance.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Is the harassment just via distance, so email, online, etc or in person as well?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi BenSome background - I am HR manager working for a consultancy firm. My Finance Director employed an individual via Hays Recruitment agency for a short term project. He had an altercation with me on the open floor and I took him aside and informed him that his behaviour was unacceptable. I had also posed two quest to him, which were reasonable and he decided to respond in an unprofessional manner and that is why I took him aside. He then resigned the next day - However, we had already decided that we were going to let him go. This was in August of this year. Since then there have been a barrage of vulgar emails sent to me and other colleagues at work in August. Yesterday, they emails started again, but were worse than before, stating that he will deal with me next week and calling me a Whore and other vulgar names coping in the CEO and other team members. He has mentioned that he will be naming me in the press aswell as Hays as he has done this before. He tried to call me yesterday, so he stayed on his email, then mentioned that he will deal with me next week. I have contacted the police and now have a crime reference number but they confirmed due to the fact he has not turned up to work there was nit much that they could do, but would contact me in 3 days to take a statement. This mans behaviour is iractic as he is not only targeting me but the financial director at work and Hays. I need to know how to go about shutting him down as he is becoming increasingly aggressive and I am becoming more nervous about his tone in his communication.Thank you

Thank you. There is unfortunately no quick fix to this. Your options are really twofold - the police or the courts. With the police, you have to report this to them and then it is in their hands. How soon they deal with it will depend on the nature of their actions, the severity and seriousness and how likely is it that it may cause immediate harm. But you cannot force the police to act quicker than they decide - it is all down to them.

The other option is the courts, where you can get an injunction for example. But that will also take time, a few days usually for an urgent injunction. In the end all it gives you is a piece of paper which says what the person cannot do, such as contact you. It still relies on that person following that order but some people will just ignore them. If they do ignore it and continue harassing you, then the police can potentially get involved again.

In order to keep costs down I would strongly suggest you stick with the police here - the court option will be expensive and still no guarantee to putting an end to this. I would say you should press the police to deal with it quicker, perhaps by highlighting any serious behaviour by that person, which indicates they may expose you to further harm, usually physical harm.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you

you are most welcome