How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12064
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My aunt died recently and has named my mother in her will.

This answer was rated:

Hi , my aunt died recently and has named my mother in her will. We are not sure as of yet how much my mum will receive, but my mum gets housing and council tax benefit and pension credit, she is a widow aged 78.
Our questions are would any money affect her benefit or since she does not want the money due to her benefits, could she change any money she may get to my brother who works. She does not want any money but would changing names over be legal or fraud?

Thanks for your question. An inheritance would affect your mother’s means tests benefits. She can decline the legacy in favour of a child. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you