How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My brother in law is lending me a sum of money (£8892). I

This answer was rated:

Hello. My brother in law is lending me a sum of money (£8892). I want to give him a claim on my property as surety for the sum. How do I do that? (My mortgage company was not helpful when I phoned them. I am not sure the person understood what I was asking).

Thanks for your question. Your mortgage company was not the right sourc to ask about this. What you are seeking is for a second charge to be placed on your property to give your brother security for the money he is lending you, almost like a second mortgage. Your solicitor is the best person to draft this and deal with it for you. It is not an expensive exercise although the consent of Lloyd’s may be needed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I go to the lender for consent BEFORE going to a solicitor?

In the first instance you would ask the lender if they need to give consent and if they do they will undoubtedly have a form for you to sign. Or if they tell you they don’t need to give consent then you can go to your solicitor.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you