How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7256
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Southern water sent a contractor to my house who said they

This answer was rated:

Southern water sent a contractor to my house who said they wanted to mark where they would dig I. My garden to repair their drain. This was the first I had heard of it, I was upset so asked them to leave. I have plants which I try to look after. What are my rights in this situation, can they just arrive and demand entry. I select UK law.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

You want to refuse them to dig a drain?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, but should they give notice and keep me informed.

Did they give notice? Was it an emergency?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not an emergency, however they turned up out of the blue, should they by law give me notice.

By law, no.

But they should. Usually they would give you 28 days notice.

They are entitled to come on to your land to carry out works. But out of courtesy you should be given notice.

So you are within your rights to refuse access, unless an emergency.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you